Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

This book was one of my favorites growing up as a child. When I teach elementary school I plan on sharing this book with my students. The book uses rythme, rhyme and repetition to help children learn to read. The consistency of the book, in using the same line "... ... what do you see?", "i see a ... looking at me", helps it to flow easy, making the reading simpler on the child learning to read. Each new character we meet was seen by the previous character and then views the future character we are about to encounter. Also, each character is given a color, for example how the bear is brown. This helps us to identify the different chracters using simple character traits, and to help children learn and recognize different colors. altogether this is a great book to start children off with when teaching them to read. I would recommend it to any pre-K thru 1st grade teacher!

No comments: