Saturday, April 19, 2008

Children's Authors

I thought learning about picture books was the most interesting thing we have done thus far this semester. I never knew how much depth could be found in picture books. When I read them as a child I liked them because they were easy for me to read and had a lot of cute pictures. Learning about them now, as an adult, I realize there is a lot to be learned on the deeper side. Picture books use many techniques such as color scheme, word placement and picture placement on the page, rhyming, pattern and theme to make it easier for children to learn how to read, and more interesting. I never realized how much work children’s authors had to put into writing a book. They can only use a limited amount of words because children have a limited vocabulary. They can only use a limited amount of color because children only have limited knowledge of colors. They cannot write a story line that is to complex or children will loose interest and not follow the story. It is crucial for the author to consider their age audience when writing a book because a 1st grader has very different reading skills than a 3rd grader. Children’s books are not as easy to write as I once thought, and I have a great amount of respect for children’s authors.

No comments: